Changing pads or diaper mats are basically soft rectangular pads coated with PVC or polyvinyl chloride, a plastic, and used to place baby on while changing a diaper. They make cleanups hygienic and easy by providing a clean surface for nappy changes. However, PVC is usually non-biodegradable and it has been linked to leading to a variety of illnesses including, asthma. So, what options does a eco-friendly and green parent have? Learn about the various non-PVC changing mats in addition to alternatives that can be used instead of a changing table pad.
Thanks to a growing awareness concerning the harm that PVC causes as well as a fast-spreading 'go green" movement, manufacturers of baby care products are discovering various green and earth-friendly alternatives for changing pads. These diaper mats are often made of thermoplastic elastomer or TPE which really is a material with no PVC, latex and chloride, or PEVA which is once again a non PVC vinyl fabric or artificial rubber encased in organic natural cotton. Using these alternatives isn't just earth-friendly but also ideal for baby's delicate skin. Moreover, it is easy to buy these diaper changing mats online. Also, as, like towel diapers, they're reusable, the cost can be totally worthwhile.
There are many places from where a green parent can choose a changing pad that's free from PVC. ZoLi ( includes a range of diaper changing mats made of non harmful, PVC-free thermoplastic elastomer (TPE) in a variety of colors and priced at $20 each. Healthy Child and Amazon both present Naturepedic's Organic Changing Desk Pad. It is Greenguard accredited and manufactured from organic natural cotton using a thin cover of food-grade, nontoxic waterproof polyethylene layer. However, this changing desk pad is normally costly and costs nearly one hundred dollars.
Green Fibers has a interesting option to the changing pad rather. It provides a synthetic rubber sheet protected with organic cotton. Priced at $27, this changing sheet is usually free of PVC and safe for baby's epidermis. FuzziBunz, a respected name in material add-ons and diapers, also makes diaper changing mats made of waterproof PUL with a high coating of smooth, organic cotton or fleece.
Additionally it is possible never to purchase a changing table pad altogether and use the easily available alternatives to improve baby's nappy. A few options include:
1. A cloth diaper can dual up like a changing mat very easily, especially for smaller babies. Keep one or two extra prefolds accessible and simply glide one under baby's bottom when you open up the diaper.
2. If you're using a throw-away diaper, it is possible to slide an opened merely, clean diaper under baby's bottom before you open the filthy one. Then, when you finish cleaning baby, all you need to do is usually lift and clean bottom one final time, slide out dirty diaper rubber part and you also have a clean diaper ideal where it is desired by you.
3. Baby bath towels are also gentle, big and absorbent enough to serve as a diaper changing mat. Moreover, because they're a popular baby shower present, it's possible you'll always have an extra one to serve as a diaper mat rather than a towel.
4. Soft baby blankets can also be used to improve baby's diaper. Doubling a blanket increase absorbency in case there is any accidents during a diaper modification and the soft fabric will be perfect for baby's sensitive pores and skin.
5. Crib sheets or a single bed sheet can also be folded and used to place baby on during diaper changes.
Each one of these options are inexpensive, easily available and make diaper changes as effortless and hygienic being a changing table pad just. So, if you are a new parent who does not want to collect a whole lot of baby equipment or really wants to spend less on baby products, these alternatives are what you need only. Green parents who just desire an eco-friendly diaper mat can, on the other hand, invest in any of the changing table pads offered by businesses want Fuzzi Naturepedic or Bunz. These alternatives to changing pads are safe for baby and the environment, making them the best option for mentioning baby within a gentle world.
Photo Credit: Sellers Patton via